Wednesday, April 30, 2014

"What now?" Plans for the booru

Because we have plans too.

Many of you have been asking "what will the future of this project be?". Actually, no one has been asking but myself.

The MyImouto Booru project is practically complete, with some features, including requested ones, that I'd like to add. 
But is that it?


The project started like some sort of "emulator" of Moebooru (the story is in the first post of this blog). I called it an "emulator" because internally it was a chaos and had nothing to do with Moebooru, the code just tried hard to work like it, it tried to "emulate" the old moe.imouto.org.

But then the code began to grow and I kept learning programming, because by the time I started this project I knew almost nothing about programming, so I kept changing the code again and again applying new knowledge I was acquiring.
Then I decided to copy instead of emulate Moebooru, and the small base system or "engine" needed a change to fit the needs, so I programmed a small framework. Since Moebooru is programmed in Ruby on Rails, I was constantly reading Ruby code (while trying very hard to understand it), and I loved the way RoR worked, so, even though we have plenty of professional and cool frameworks for PHP out there, I decided to build some sort of "framework" that worked like RoR (although I attempted to use ZendFramework1 but couldn't stand it), which too was drastically changed like three times and grew in code. But if you look at the code of the framework you will see it's much of a mess, because I kept learning programming while writing it, and I still am learning, also because I had to make changes as MyImouto was being further developed, requiring more and different features in the framework.

This is a random image because too much text.

What I mean is, the MyImouto project is closely tied to the framework project. What this have to do with the plans for the future of MyImouto is that I'm writing a new version of the framework, hopefuly with no messed-up but clean code and that stuff, as professional as I can write code. Most of my time, if not all, is going towards this project. And once I'm done with it (behold! the plans for MyImouto), I plan to re-write MyImouto using the new framework, while changing/improving the code structure where I can. More or less like Danbooru did when moved to Danbooru 2... just more or less. Probably more less than more.

And the thing is that this is going to take months. And I wrote this to explain why I haven't been working too much on MyImouto lately... and to say hi to the few souls that read my posts, because I haven't written anything in a long time: hi~

Oh look, new code!... no one cares? oh well...

Will this bring huge changes to MyImouto?
Yes, but only in the code. I don't think changes will be done to the front-end or layout of the application.
How long till the release of the new version of the framework?
I'd say around 3 months. It's about 40% done.
Any improvements regarding performance?
I'm not sure. It will probably be slower since it will have new features and stuff... but it will be more stable! Or at least that's what I expect.
Then what's the point?
To have a clean framework to work with?
Did you just answer a question with another question?
Yes.
Why don't you just use one of the many PHP frameworks out there?
It's my little dream. dun dstori mi drem pls, i liek dis freumwok
Was the cake actually a lie?
I think it wasn't.

2 comments: