Friday, March 11, 2011

Danbooru + Yandere (Moebooru) port to PHP and MySQL

[Update 2014-01-27]
The system grew from being an "emulator" as I called it at first, to be an actual port of Moebooru to PHP. If you're looking for the files, you can find them in Github here.

Before I decided to work on this in 2009, I don't think I made a deep search on a Danbooru-like page for PHP.

(Defining variables here)
Anyway, I'm not even sure how to catalog Danbooru (just in case, there're tons of 18+ pics there), but it's an image board that works with tags, you can download and use its source code to make your own Danbooru. Sadly, it's made on Ruby and works with PostgreSQL I think? Not Windows-user friendly.
Then we have Imouto, based on Danbooru but modded for good, cooler than 'booru I'd say.



I discovered Imouto many years ago while searching for anime pictures to collect. After having a lot of pictures, I noticed it was a chaos to arrange and search for pictures I wanted to look at, so I tried Picasa, which I used for a while but it wasn't too good. Then I tried XnView, it felt better than Picasa but it still wasn't good enough. So I thought of having a local Imouto-like web image board.

After searching and asking people, I found out about Naranai in 2009, an image board for PHP and MySQL. I downloaded it and quickly decided to make it look like Imouto, it was matter of changing the CSS, what could be difficult? And so I did.

But then I wanted Naranai to work like Imouto. One of the first things I might have noticed (I don't really remember) is that you can't discart posts by tags (like "-swimsuits" so you'll see any picture but those tagged with swimsuits), so I had to edit the PHP code to make things work. I edited Naranai for some time, until I had to give back the computer I had at home (it was my friend's).

After a year I was able to get a new computer and continued to edit Naranai, focusing in the main areas: pictures, tagging, searching, editing, pools, leaving aside wiki, help sections and forums. The modding got deeper, to the point I even changed the Naranai's database table names, heh.

I say it's an Imouto "emulator" because I made the system work in a way it works fine with the javascripts of Imouto. After thinking of a name for it, I called it "My Imouto Board". "My" because it uses MySQL, but then I remembered that "oreno.imouto.org" means "my sister", "my imouto", so the name is just precise.

Testing... testing...?
So "My Imouto Board" is like 70% done, and so far it's pretty cool. I just did a quick search through the web and I didn't find a Danbooru for PHP (which is good because if I found one I'd have jumped out through the window).

"Tags" is empty due to code changes.
If you know about a Danbooru for PHP, be nice and let me know I've wasted my time doing what I've been doing for weeks now. Actually it wasn't a total waste because I learned a lot of PHP thanks to this.

And the thing is, I'm releasing the code once it's working fine. Hope someone, besides me, is interested in this.

Welcome!

2 comments:

  1. I'm interested in your project after wasting time searching for same code in PHP. Hope to see your fully-coded imouto booru to work soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can already download it here
    http://code.google.com/p/my-imouto-booru/downloads/list
    However it's not 100% finished (more info here: http://code.google.com/p/my-imouto-booru/wiki/WhatIsMyImouto), and a new version using a whole new system is under development.

    ReplyDelete